January 13, 2017 by Staff Reporter
The Football Association of Malawi has revised the Flames call up for the upcoming international friendly match against China with Under 23 players brought on board to replace the regulars.
Flames are set to play China as part of the events to mark the official opening of the Bingu National Stadium on 28th January 2016.
Caretaker coach Gerald Phiri had earlier named a strong 29 man squad of experienced local based players but will now have to do with a developmental squad of uncapped youngsters whom FAM wants to expose as part of the Flames rebuilding exercise.
FAM General Secretary Alfred Gunda said the move is aimed at creating a new pool of talented youngsters who will be fused with the experienced ones a head of the Flames busy schedule with 2018 CHAN and 2019 Afcon qua and Cosafa coming around.
“We have three major tasks ahead if we include the Cosafa and looking at where we are coming from we need to create a new crop of players for the senior national team. More than half of the players that we had called earlier have been in the Flames setup before.
“So we are replacing the regulars with under 23 players to be assessed for inclusion in the Chan and Afcon plans.
“Gerald and his assistant De Clerk Msakakuona are junior national team coaches ( Under 20 and Under 17 respectively) so this platform will help complement their efforts of nurturing young talent for elite performance which they started with respective Cosafa assignments last year. We sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the review,” said Gunda.
(Stroy by Football Association Of Malawi)